he Crystarium system (クリスタリウム, Kurisutariumu?) is a character growth system from the Fabula Nova Crystallis: Final Fantasy subseries. Its most prominent appearance is in Final Fantasy XIII, where it is the base of stat and ability growth for the party.
Each character starts out with three roles in which they are more proficient. A short way into Chapter 10, each character becomes able to access the other three roles, a feature called “Role Development.” These secondary roles can be used once the character learns at least one ability from that role.
In each level of the three primary roles a character has, there are occasional branches that contain additional skills and stat increases. Their secondary roles have no branches, being more straight-forward and restricted to fewer skills. CP costs for the secondary roles’ nodes are much higher than those for the primary roles, despite having fewer nodes to activate.
The characters’ Crystaria expand to the next level after certain bosses are defeated:
- Stage 1 – Initial extent of Crystaria, as of the start of Chapter 3.
- Stage 2 – Defeat the Garuda Interceptor at the end of Chapter 3.
- The Synergist role is unlocked for Sazh, and the Saboteur role is unlocked for Vanille.
- Stage 3 – Defeat the Dreadnought during Chapter 4.
- The Medic role is unlocked for Lightning, and the Commando role is unlocked for Sazh.
- Stage 4 – Defeat the Aster Protoflorian near the end of Chapter 5.
- Stage 5 – Defeat Enki and Enlil near the end of Chapter 6.
- Stage 6 – Defeat the Havoc Skytank at the end of Chapter 7.
- Stage 7 – Defeat Barthandelus at the end of Chapter 9.
- Stage 8 – Defeat Cid Raines during Chapter 10.
- Stage 9 – Defeat Barthandelus near the end of Chapter 11.
- Stage 10 – Defeat Orphan at the end of Chapter 13.
The player can earn achievements by completing the Crystarium role paths for a single character for each job. After activating all nodes in the Crystarium for all roles for every character the player earns the Master’s Seal achievement.